Get Outside and Get Moving!
You don’t need to live near a beach or a national park to experience the joys of America’s great outdoors! There are places in every community – from bike paths and trails, to local parks, ponds and playgrounds – to get moving outside and have a little fun.
Regular participation in outdoor activities has been shown to boost children’s creativity and focus, in addition to building aerobic capacity and strength. Hiking, biking, swimming, and other outdoor games are easy – and affordable – ways for families to spend time together during the summer months.
Are you ready for an outdoor adventure? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
· Discover the Forest! Find public lands and waters near you.
· Use KaBOOM’s map of play to locate a play space in your neighborhood.
· Try something new! Get inspired by the National Wildlife Federation’s outdoor “Activity Finder.”
· Go fishing! Visit the “Take me Fishing” site to learn the basics.
· Take advantage of the parks and open spaces in your state.
· Visit a national park and become a Let’s Move Outside!Junior Ranger.
Anytime you’re outside for an extended period, remember to prepare for the weather and bring plenty of water and healthy snacks!